Tuesday, February 3, 2015

For the birds

One of my favourite things about the depths of winter are the birds.
They brave all weather to come and hop around the feeder and they are so fun to watch. My Cardinals and Blue Jays are scarce this year so far, but we've got plenty of Sparrows, Juncos and Doves.

I decided to put a little seed along the sill at the back door to try and get a closer look at them
I thought at the very least it would bring a squirrels a little closer and entertain the cats...

But take a look what happens when a little Junco comes peeking....
... so much for that idea!

And when the cardinals finally come round
 There's not a cat in sight!

Of course, things changed a little on Monday morning. A huge storm blew through and drifted about four feet of snow up to my back door and almost swallowed the poor bird feeder. 
I can't get out to fill  it, so my best friend Sam suggested I just toss the  seed onto the drift outside the door.
That worked! And someone finally figured out the whole bird thing...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You got hammered with snow. Yikes. Looks pretty wintery. Nice drifts, though! LOL. Seriously, I know how they can restrict getting where you need to go! The birds are pretty fortunate that you are ready to whatever it takes to get some seed out to them. I agree that it's really entertaining to watch them. Glad "someone" started looking out the window at the opportune time!

RobinH said...

I know! I'll be all 'Look, Cookie! Chickadees!' and he'll flex his paw and keep snoring.

Anonymous said...

It's like BIRD-TV for the kitties. LOL

kathy b said...

We have a new feeder right outside our window for that cats' viewing pleasure. It happens to be a window where the cats can sit on the radiator below the window as a warm perch

Minding My Own Stitches said...

We put out peanuts through the winter. For the last couple of weeks we've had a juvenile Cooper's Hawk feeding on little brown sparrows that have been to our feeder. I felt a bit bad - like I was luring the sparrows to their death - until the lady at the nature store told me the little brown sparrows are an invasive species and that they are jerks. In the spring they squat in other birds' nests and tip their eggs out. So Hakuna Matata and so long little brown birds!

Araignee said...

Yowza....that's a lot of snow! We are still waiting for a big one here but we're running out of time. If it's not going to snow, the cold needs to go away-for good. Snow or spring. Nothing in between.

Anonymous said...

We call it cat tv here!